Rush Town Hall

The Rush Town Hall was originally built in 1935 as a Works Projects Administration (WPA) endeavor, during the Depression. The style of architecture chosen for the building was Colonial Revival, a prevalent form of the day. The cornerstone was laid and the dedication of the building was held on September 28, 1935.

Supervisor Eugene Barker, leaning over with ceremonial trowel in hand, sets the cornerstone for the new Rush Town Hall (1935)

The newly built town hall was not only used to conduct town business, but it also served as a community center, library and home for the Fire Department.

 

The Rush Town Hall as it looked upon its completion in 1936

In 1973 the Fire Department moved from the north side of the Town Hall to its current location on Rush-Mendon Road. The library, which had been located on the south side of the first floor, moved into the vacated space and the library addition was built.

When the Town Hall was completed in 1936, the population of Rush was 1,791; our population today is over 3,600. The increase in population, technological changes and legal requirements facilitated the need for updates to the existing building. Between 2003 and 2004, the Town Hall underwent a major renovation. The overall appearance of the building, both internally and externally, has been significantly enhanced as a result.

The Rush Town Hall as it appears today