The Zoning Board of Appeals holds regular meetings on the third Thursday of each month at 7:00 PM at the Rush Town Hall. The Zoning Board of Appeals (ZBA) is the first level of appeals for alleged hardship encountered in application of the Zoning Ordinance.
Many property owners can implement their plans for building new, or altering existing, houses, storage shed, etc., by applying for and receiving a building permit form the Building Inspector. Occasionally, however, the Building Inspector will discover that the proposed structure or its proposed location would violate one or more provisions of the Zoning Ordinance. When this occurs, the application for a building permit must be rejected. At this time there are two choices:
- Review provisions of the Zoning Ordinance and alter your proposal to comply. If the building Inspector agrees with your revisions, the building permit will be issued.
- Apply to the ZBA for a variance, special or temporary permit. The Zoning Ordinance recognizes that there will be instances in which full compliance with its provisions will be impossible. A public hearing is required.
Common problems coming before the ZBA involve:
- Area Variance - The required set back of a structure from the front and side lot lines.
- Use Variance - Non-conforming uses such as commercial activities in residential zones.
Other matters which require a variance issued by the ZBA include:
- Erection of certain signs, decks, swimming pools, and fences/hedges.
- Approval of certain uses of land/property permitted only after issuance of a special permit.
All applicants must submit a fully completed Application for a Variance by the 10th of the month in order to be heard the following month.
Zoning Board of Appeals Meeting Schedule:
January 13, 2022 CANCELLED
February 17, 2022 RESCHEDULED for February 24, 2022
March 17, 2022 CANCELLED
April 21, 2022
May 19, 2022 CANCELLED
June 16, 2022
July 21, 2022
August 18, 2022
September 15, 2022
October 20, 2022
November 17, 2022
December 15, 2022
A 30-day cycle is required for all necessary parties/agencies to review the application.